Monday, June 4, 2012

Chapter 9: Independence Day

*BRIANA'S POV*

I don't want to go back, man, I don't want to go back...but I have to.  Keely's hungry and I don't have any money...and I can't go door to door beggin' people...I just can't.  So I start walking back.

It takes me forever, but when I get there, I just plop Keely right down in her high chair again and give her some food from the fridge.  It's old cheap noodles that probably don't have any nutritional value, but at least it's something.

As soon as I get her settled, I hear heavy footsteps coming from the bedroom.  My heart starts pounding just thinking what he might do to punish me.  He treats me like I'm his child or something...someone that needs to be corrected...constantly.

I turn around to face him, trying to hold my head high.


Trevor: Where...in the hell...have...you...been?
He's drawing it out because he likes it this way.  He likes me standing here terrified of when he's going to strike.  God, I hate him.  It's hard to imagine a time that I loved him.  There's none of that anymore.


Turns out I don't have to wait...he throws a swing and his hand makes contact with my face, sending my head back and putting my cheek on fire.  Right there in front of my daughter.


I don't know if it's the pain or the fact that he struck me in front of my daughter, but something comes over me.

Briana: YOU SON OF A BITCH!
Trevor: What did you say to me, girl?


Briana: I called you a son of a bitch, but I don't think that quite covers it.  You're a no-good, lousy, shell of an excuse for a man and if you ever hit me again, I will tie you up by your damn balls and beat the living hell out of you with a bat...and we still won't be even for the years of torment you have put me through!


I turn away from him, partially because I'm afraid of the expression on his face.

Trevor: Oh, so we're getting brave now, are we?  You're forgetting that I'm bigger than you...and stronger...and braver.  You couldn't do anything to me if you tried.

Briana: Why don't you try me and see what happens then?

Damn, I've all of a sudden gotten some guts...which start fading when he grabs my arm and spins me around to face him.


Trevor: You listen to me you little bitch.  I'm going to forget this ever happened for your own good, but you just try...


I don't let him get it out.  I just slap him across the face...and it feels wonderful.  I know it shouldn't and I don't condone violence, but it sure did feel good hitting him back.

I pick Keely up and start heading for the door.

Briana: You're on your own.
After spitting out one of his teeth and a little blood, he replies.
Trevor: Where you gonna go?  You don't have nothin' without me!  You hear me, bitch?  Nothing!

But I'm long gone.  I don't know where I'm going, but I know it's going to be better than where I've been.

It occurs to me though that Trevor might follow me.  I watch the house and leave Keely with a neighbor with the assurance that they won't give her to Trevor...and then I'm off.



I start walking again, and soon I'm back in that ritzy neighborhood...and there's a man outside of one of the houses.


I watch him drive away...I'm so tired...I wonder if anyone else lives in the house with him?  Or if it's empty?  I am so tired that I head toward the front door without even thinking.


Woman's voice: Can I help you?
I jump, turn around, and see a woman standing behind me.
Briana: Oh!  I'm sorry...I was just looking...is this your house?


Woman: Yesss.  I'm sorry, have we met?
Briana: No...I don't think so.
Woman: Oh, well then...my name is Hadley.  You are?
Briana: Briana.  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to trespass...I was just so...

My eyes shut involuntarily.

Hadley: You look exhausted.  Why don't you come in?


Briana: Really? Thank you so much.


I follow her inside the large house.  It's so beautiful and warm.  
Hadley: Welcome, please have a seat.  Can I get you something to drink?  We have water, I can make coffee...or juice...would you like some juice?
Briana: No, I'm fine, really...I should probably go...I don't want to keep you...I just...
Hadley: Where do you live?  I don't recognize you from this neighborhood.
Briana: I don't live in this one...I was walking, and...

Just then, I hear heavy footsteps and just about have a stroke.
Hadley: Hey, are you okay?

Man's Voice: Hey, I'm home...they didn't have any strawberry, so you're going to have to settle for...oh...Hey, who's this?


The same man I saw leave a few minutes ago stands in front of me, and I have to say, he is a sight.  He's very muscular, and tall...and handsome...and his eyes are kind.  Wow.

Hadley: Briana, this is my husband, Mason.  Mason, this is Briana.
Mason: *holds out his hand* Nice to meet you Briana.  Is everything okay?  It's kind of late to be...

Briana: I'm sorry to have bothered you...I'll go.


Mason: No, no, I was just going to say it's kind of late to be outside, even in this neighborhood.  What can we do for you?


The expression on his face somehow calms me.  I feel like I can tell him anything and he won't bulk.  Of course, my vague sense of propriety prevents me from going into too much detail.

Briana: I'm sorry, I'm just lost...and tired...and I don't know where to go...and your wife was kind enough to let me in...I'm sorry, I just don't know what to do...
Mason: *looks at me with great concern* Where do you normally live?
Briana: On the other side of town...
Hadley: How did you get all the way over here?
Briana: I walked.
Mason: You wa-...wait, you're telling me you walked all the way over here?
Briana: I didn't know where else to go...I left my daughter with a neighbor, my husband and I...well, we're not getting along, so I left.  I don't know what to do.

I can't keep the tears from falling at this point.  It wasn't until right now that I realized just how dire my situation is.


Mason: Briana, wait, please stop crying.  Look, you're exhausted.  We have an extra bedroom upstairs.  Why don't you go to sleep and we can figure all this out in the morning.
Briana: Wait...are you sure?  You don't even know me.
Mason: Of course I'm sure.  I don't want you going back out there tonight with nowhere to go.  I'm sure Hadley agrees with me, don't you?
Hadley: *smiles* Of course I do.  Please, stay as long as you like.

*HADLEY'S POV*


After I show our unusual guest to the extra guest bedroom, I come back downstairs to my wonderful husband.
Hadley: You are the sweetest man ever.
Mason: Me?  Nah, just did what anyone would do.
Hadley: Most people wouldn't let some strange woman in their house.


Mason: You don't think she'll steal anything, do you?
Hadley: Well, I hope not...but what's in that room but bunk beds, some books, a dresser, and a desk?
Mason: That's true...
Hadley: And we are on rooms on either side of her, so it's not like she can sneak out without one of us knowing...
Mason: Yeah...see?  It was the right thing.
Hadley: Of course...unless you wanted to join me in bed tonight?
Mason: Uh...not tonight...we have guests...
Hadley: *sigh*
Mason: I'm sorry baby, I just don't want to rush anything.
Hadley: Don't go slow on my account.
Mason: Now, don't pout.
Hadley: If I pout will I get my way?
Mason: *laughs* That's usually how it works for you, but not this time.
Hadley: Okay, fine...*pout, pout*

Mason kisses me on the forehead and gives me a hug...so very...platonic...ugh.
Mason: Good night, my sweet love.
Hadley: Good night.

We head upstairs and go, as always, into our separate bedrooms.

*BRIANA'S POV*


As soon as my head hit the pillow of this obviously very nice bed in this extremely nice house, I fall sound asleep, and sleep better than I have in months.



2 comments:

  1. I hope this won't mean trouble for them. I like that she is letting him know she is ready to move things along. I hope Mason takes the hint.

    So happy that Briana stood up for herself finally. Hope Trevor doesn't take the baby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for Briana for standing up for herself! I just hope that Keely will be okay.

    I'm glad to see that things between Hadley and Mason are becoming more normal again. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!