Thursday, June 21, 2012

Chapter 14: Somebody That I Used to Know

*HADLEY'S POV*


Things have been massively strained between Mason and I, so I've been spending almost all my time working with Pepper.  We have gotten so good riding I am entering her in riding contests.



The first contest I entered her in, we came in sixth place, but the trainers tell me she shows great promise, so I enter her in a couple more races and she finally wins!

I know this is nothing but a distraction, but I have done all I can to try and work with Mason on our relationship, our future, all of it.

My "family" doesn't really help either.  Honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm visiting a funny farm.  They're all crazier than I am.  They joke with each other, get into fights, then get along minutes later...it's too much to deal with.  I guess since I don't remember anything about my life, I don't remember that I used to love all the crazy.

It seems like the only thing I have is Pepper and the fact that everyone seems to know me.  I like the paparazzi.  All I have to do is smile and let them shoot pictures of me and they're happy.  It's refreshing and a lot less stressful than all these people that expect me to be my "old" self.



*MASON'S POV*


As much as I want to be strong for her, I am having so much trouble dealing with the "new" her.  I can live without her memories, but I'm having trouble with her complete personality change.  I don't get it.  To beat it all, I don't know who to talk to.  I don't want to burden the kids and I don't want to go to my parents, or her parents, or her siblings...and Evie is her best friend...although they haven't been as close since all this happened, so maybe I can talk to her.


I catch up with her outside her house.
EVIE: Hey, what's going on, bro?  Is everything okay?
MASON: Oh...yeah...I mean, nothing is seriously wrong, I don't guess.
EVIE: Well damn, you had me scared...I thought something was wrong with Hadley, or Mom or Dad...
MASON: Good Lord, I told you it wasn't an emergency.
EVIE: I thought you were telling me that so I wouldn't panic.
MASON: And you panicked anyway...
EVIE: Well, yeah, you knew I would...
MASON: Anyway...
EVIE: So what is it?


MASON: It's about Hadley...
EVIE: Is she okay?
MASON: Damn...Evie, yes...she's okay...it's just...we're not.
EVIE: What's that supposed to mean?
MASON: We've been fighting a lot...
EVIE: What could you all possibly be fighting about?  She can't remember anything.
MASON: That's kind of the point...
EVIE: What?  That she lost her memory?  Kind of a dickish thing to be pissy about, isn't it, Mason?



MASON: It's not like that...
EVIE: Than what is it like?
MASON: She's just different...and...
EVIE: The doctor told you she would be different.  She told you you might not completely recognize her, but she's still her.
MASON: I know...I just didn't expect her to be this different.


EVIE: Don't you think it breaks my heart that we don't get along all that well anymore?  It's like she's not really my best friend...
MASON: That's one thing...you all got along, even as babies...why aren't you getting along now?
EVIE: We're getting along, we're just not that close...maybe we're the ones that have changed, Mace...ya' know, she is just working with the personality she was born with...we have a whole lot more to deal with.

MASON: So what?  I have to teach her right from wrong?


EVIE: No, you have to get your head out of your ass and stop worrying so much about what this is doing to you.
MASON: Evie, come on...
EVIE: No, have you even thought about how she's handling all this?  She's living with a husband she doesn't know, hanging around people she doesn't know.
MASON: Evie, I think about that every day.  I try to be understanding, but this is hard on me too.
EVIE: Honestly, Mason, I don't know what to tell you...you just need to man up.  Look, I have to go to work...call me when you're ready to not be a selfish ass.


Wow...that was awesome.



*BRIANA'S POV*


After I get Keely her breakfast, I come in to get her out and see Mason holding her.

A site like this warms my heart.  He has really proven to me that there are good men in the world.  Trevor was such an asshole, I can't believe I spent so much time with him.


BRIANA: You're so good with her.
MASON: *laugh* Thanks.  I think it's second nature to me.
BRIANA: Yeah, I know what you mean.  Sometimes I feel like I've been raising children for my entire life.
MASON: Is Keely your only child?
BRIANA: Yes, but...I just really love being her mom, I guess.
MASON: You're good at it...do you ever want to have more?
BRIANA: Yes, definitely...I just don't know how I'm going to be able to.
MASON: It'll happen for you, I'm sure of it.


BRIANA: I hope...hey, I wanted to bring something up with you.
MASON: What is it?
BRIANA: I want you to let me know if we overstay our welcome, okay?
MASON: You haven't...
BRIANA: Mason, I heard you and Hadley fighting the other night...
MASON: Oh...you heard that?


BRIANA: Look, I don't want to be the reason you all are fighting...
MASON: We don't really need a reason to fight these days..it seems to happen whether we want to or not.
BRIANA: Oh...I'm sorry to hear that.  You and Hadley always seem like the perfect couple.
MASON: We're far from it, believe me.  I don't know what to do anymore.
BRIANA: What's wrong?


He looks taken aback...uh-oh...I've overstepped.

BRIANA: I'm sorry...I didn't mean to be nosy...it's none of my business.
MASON: No...it's okay...it's...well, she's not the same person I married.
BRIANA: What happened?
MASON: She got...sick...and she hasn't been the same since...I don't know what to do.
BRIANA: People change, Mason...
MASON: Yeah, I know, and I can deal with it, but she's so different...I mean, you heard her.
BRIANA: Well, I didn't know her before...
MASON: I'll tell you, my Hadley would have never said half the things she did.  She would open her home to anyone.  If she thought they needed help, it wasn't even a question.
BRIANA: Well, if she's been sick, maybe that's why...


MASON: Yeah, I don't know.  We grew up together, I don't know if you know that, and she has never been this way.  I guess I didn't realize just how much of her personality was based on her life experiences, not just her nature.
BRIANA: Nature versus nurture...I guess nurture wins, huh?
MASON: Yeah, I don't know, I guess you know how people change better than anyone, huh?  I'm sure Trevor wasn't always an asshole.
BRIANA: No, he pretty much always was...
MASON: Oh...well...
BRIANA: Don't worry about it.  I guess I'm not known for my good choices.
MASON: Hey, we all make bad ones...believe me.
BRIANA: Well...what are you going to do...about Hadley?
MASON: *sigh* I don't know...but I really appreciate you talking to me...I actually feel a little better.
BRIANA: No problem...
MASON: I'm sorry I unloaded on you like this...
BRIANA: No, don't apologize...
MASON: It's just...I can't really talk to anyone else...

BRIANA: Well, if you ever need someone to talk to, you can come to me.

2 comments:

  1. This is getting bad. If they are growing close then what does that mean for Mason and Hadley. Evie was right he needs to try to deal with the new her. He's stuck on how she used to be and that's not fair to her. They are going downhill fast and that makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it makes me sad having them fight too...of course it's all in my evil plan. LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!