Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chapter 10: Now I Remember Why I Can't Take You Anywhere

*BRIANA'S POV*


Waking up was extremely disorienting, especially since I am used to waking up in a dingy, mold-covered house in a bed with strings poking out of the mattress and sheets that are so thread-bare you would think an angel sneezed and made them.


I stretch to get my bearings.  Oh, what a glorious snooze.  Of course, then I think of Trevor.


I am sure he's waking up now, realizing I'm not there.  There's no telling what he will do.  


That thought terrifies me.

I have to get back and get to Keely...and find out what I'm going to do from now on.


I go downstairs and find Hadley in the laundry room.
Hadley: Did you sleep well?
Briana: Better than I have in ages.  Thank you so much for your hospitality, I must be going.
Hadley: Oh, at least stay for breakfast.
Briana: I'm sorry, I can't.  I really do thank you though...for everything.
Hadley: Oh...kay...at least let me give you a ride home...or get you a cab?.
Briana: Oh, no...I couldn't...
Hadley: I insist.


She grabs her phone and calls a cab company before I can argue anymore.  I guess my first stop is to go get Keely...but after that, I have no idea what I'm going to do.

*HADLEY'S POV*


After Briana leaves, I go outside to see Pepper.  She has grown up so much lately.  She's a big horse now.  I try my hand at riding her...


I must be doing it wrong...my body bounces up and down so much I think Pepper will buck me off of her.  Thank goodness she doesn't.

After I think I've fully bruised my backside, I get down and my phone rings.  It's Mason.

Mason: Hey baby, my parents are having a party tonight.  Should I tell them we're coming?
Hadley: Um...
Mason: We don't have to...
Hadley: No, let's go ahead and go.
Mason: Okay, Mom told me to tell you to come over any time you want.  I'll be there after work.
Hadley: Okay...see you there...
Mason: Yeah...
Hadley: Bye...
Mason: Bye.


Just before Mason gets off work, I head over to Zoey and T-bone's.  I always feel a little awkward here.  I don't know why.


I walk through the kitchen and see Evie at the microwave.

Hadley: Hey!
Evie: Hey Hadley!  What's going on?
Hadley: Nothing much....what are you doing?
Evie: *laughs* My version of cooking.
Hadley: That's a microwave meal...
Evie: Exactly.  It's about done, come on with me in the dining room...
Hadley: Okay...

Even though I still don't like her all that much, Evie and I are getting along a little better, especially since she gave me Pepper.


As we head out to the table, my dad catches me and I chat with him for a bit.
Andrew: How ya' doin' baby girl?
Hadley: Can't complain...just the usual, me with a broken head.
Andrew: At least it's a cute broken head.
Hadley: *giggle* It looks just like yours.
Andrew: *blush* Oh...
My mother walks up behind him.
Amy: Don't let him fool you.  He knew exactly what he was saying when he said it.
Andrew: *to my mother* Are you implying that I'm vein?
Amy: I'm not implying anything, I'm straight up saying it.


She winks and pats him on the back and he smiles back at her before she walks off.  I guess that's a thing between them, but I can't help but glare a little bit.  I don't like her calling him vein.  It's times like these that I wish I could remember my previous life.  I'm sure that's the kind of thing I would have laughed at before.

Hadley: It's okay, Daddy.  I don't think you're vein.
I give him a big hug.
Andrew: Haha, she's called me worse than that, punkin'...don't worry a bit about it.
Hadley: Okay, I won't.

Dad walks off and I hear Zoey somewhere in the kitchen.
Zoey: There's a cheese plate in here if anyone wants some.
Evie: Mama, you made a cheese plate?
T-bone: She bought a cheese plate...ouch!
Zoey: You know good and damn well I can put cheese on a plate.

I sigh.  More jokes I just don't get.  I head into the kitchen and get a plate.
Hadley: This looks good Mrs. Pope.
Zoey: Ooh, damn, honey, please call me Zoey - or Aunt Z.  You're making me feel old.
Hadley: Oh, I'm sorry.
She pats my back.
Zoey: I'm just teasing you, call me whatever you want.

I am really starting to like Zoey.  She is not as blunt as my mother can be sometimes.
I head back to the table where Evie is sitting now and my brother, a male version of my mother, is just getting up.  Evie is teasing him.

Evie: Ice cream, Keaton?  Really?  Aren't you a doctor?
Keaton: Yeah, it's calcium...good for you.  Hey, Hadley!


I sit down as he's getting up.  I always feel a little shy around Keaton, and I'm not really sure why.

Hadley: Hey Keaton.
Keaton: Doing any better remembering things?
Hadley: Not really...I'm starting to think I'm never going to remember.
Keaton: I'm sure you will, those memories are floating around somewhere in there.

I smile at him and we chat for a couple more minutes, but then he leaves.


Mason shows up right after Keaton leaves.
Evie: Ooooh, look!  Mason is gracing us with his presence!
Mason: Nobody likes a smart ass, little sis.
Evie: So touchy.

After Mason eats, the three of us split up.  


I sit down with my parents and talk...I'm talking about dishes, and apparently my mother is talking about a disco ball...and my father looks confused.   That I understand.


Mason goes upstairs to his childhood bedroom and does some reading.  I'm not really sure why he needed to do that, but whatever.


We spend so much time there that all of a sudden, Zoey comes out in her nightgown.

Zoey: Y'all are still here?

We all take the hint and go home.

Now I remember why I don't like those parties.  I get really stressed out because I don't know how to interact with everyone.  It's like being in a different culture or something.  I do much better at home with Mason.

4 comments:

  1. I hope her memory comes back. Would seeing her kids help? She has a 100 of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might! LOL I might have to try that next.

      Delete
  2. Hadleyyyyyy... Remember shtuff! You like your crazy family, they're fun and awesome and have had some fun times! (Seriously, ask your mother. xD)

    I seriously can't wait until that woman remembers her life.

    Lol, I love Zoey, "Y'all are still here?"
    Ahh, some people never really do change, do they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I hear ya...I'm glad you liked this post...it was trippy writing old parents Amy and Zoey and then going back and writing young Amy and Zoey, but so fun! LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!