Friday, June 8, 2012

Chapter 11: Put a Little Love in Your Heart


HADLEY: *sigh* Pepper, I think I get more affection from you than I get from my own husband.

Pepper snorts in response.  That's the problem, not so good at conversation.  At least Mason talks to me...of course, that's about all he does.


When I come inside, he's on the phone.
MASON: Yeah, that would be great!  When are you getting here?  Yeah...maybe...at least I hope so...oh wait, I gotta go.  Yeah, you too.

I look at him suspiciously.
HADLEY: Who was that?
MASON: Oh...uh...it was Evie...she's having a party tonight.  She wants us to come.
I can't help but groan a little.
MASON: If you don't want to go, we don't have to.
HADLEY: No, let's go...it's just...
MASON: What?
HADLEY: Are you all having these parties to try to get me to get my memory back?
MASON: Of course not.  We know that it's going to come back on it's own.  Our family likes to have parties.  It's always been that way.
HADLEY: What if I never get my memory back?

Mason pulls me into his arms.
MASON: You will baby, you will.

Unfortunately, that's not the answer I was looking for.  I was looking for, "I'll love you no matter what happens."
It has been so long, I am fairly certain I might never get my memory back and I'm really starting to resent being compared to how I was before all this happened...it's frustrating.

Either way, I let it go and get ready for Evie's party.  Here we go again.

Mason and I just walk over to Evie's and when we get there, the party is in full swing.  Both our parents are there along with my siblings and Evie and Tony.

I see my dad outside and run over to say high.  Of course, before I get there, I see this strange woman...when she sees me, she gets all excited and starts snapping pictures.


ANDREW: Hey pumpkin seed.
HADLEY: Hey Dad.  Who's the woman over there?  Is she a cousin?
ANDREW: That's one of the paparazzi - we have been paying them off and bribing them, but we couldn't keep them away tonight, I'm sorry baby.
HADLEY: What do they want?
ANDREW: They probably want a picture of you.  Between your chal-...I mean, you're pretty famous...and so is Evie actually...and Mason is with his football career...which makes the whole family pretty famous...and of course your mom and Aunt Z and their writing careers...
HADLEY: Seriously?!  I'm famous?
ANDREW: Well...yeah...

Well, that's exciting.  As soon as I turn around, she starts flashing pictures of me at rapid speed.
HADLEY: Hey, give a girl a minute, will ya?
I start flashing my best smile...if I'm going to be in the tabloids, I don't want to look like crap.

PAPARAZZI: Give us a twirl, Hadley!
I have to comply.  I can't disappoint my fans.  Hmm, I wish I could remember getting all this attention before.  I probably loved it.  

PAPARAZZI: Work it girl!

They love me, they really love me!  Wow, this party is getting better all the time.

*MASON'S POV*


I watch from the window as my wife spins, twirls, and poses in front of the paparazzi.  She really seems to be enjoying herself.  Hmm, I guess if I didn't remember the paparazzi annoying me all the damn time, the attention might be exciting for me too.

I sigh.  I wish she would get her memory back.  I know that's insensitive and it's probably harder on her than it could ever be on me, but I can't help it.  It's like she's still gone.

AMY: Damn, Mason.  This is a party, cheer up!
MASON: Huh?  I'm sorry Aunt Amy.  I'm just...
AMY: Watching your girl?
MASON: Yeah...
AMY: Have I told you lately how thankful I am that she has you?
MASON: *smile* I'm the lucky one.
AMY: Not right now...I'm sure all this is very hard on you.
MASON: *sigh*  Is it that obvious?
AMY: *smiles* No sweetie, I just know you.
MASON: I'm weak.
AMY: *raises eyebrow* Mason, cut the crap.  You're human...and this is happening to you just as much as it's happening to her.  You're feelings about it are just as valid.
I sigh.  I don't really agree with her, but arguing with Aunt Amy is like arguing with a rottweiler.  She'll dig her teeth in and not let go until she gets what she wants....much like Hadley...or at least how she used to be.

I am about to say something else when I see a Briana, the girl that stayed in our house awhile ago walk in.  Amy smiles at her.

AMY: Briana!  I'm glad you could make it!

I'm confused.
MASON: How do you all know each other?
AMY: From...around...


BRIANA: It's okay to tell him, Amy.  I'm not ashamed...at least not anymore.  I'm staying in the shelter and Amy has been helping me and my daughter...
MASON: At the...?
BRIANA: At the battered women's shelter.

Amy stands behind her and puts her hands on her shoulders protectively.
AMY: I'm glad you could make it sweetie.  If you all will excuse me, I see my husband trying to do the dougie.  I need to stop him before he hurts something...like his pride.

Briana and I laugh.


MASON: How have you been doing, Briana?  Have they been treating you well at the shelter?
BRIANA: Yeah, they've been great there.  It's a little crowded, but it's better then where I was...
MASON: I'll bet.
BRIANA: Yeah, I was telling Amy about feeling a little cooped up in the shelter and she invited me to this party with your family.  You all are so welcoming.
MASON: Ha!  It's a mad house, but we're used to it.
BRIANA: I would love to be a part of a family like this.  There's so much love here.


MASON: You don't have any family?
BRIANA: No...well, none other than Trevor and Keely....now I just have her...
MASON: ...well, you're better off without him.
BRIANA: I'm starting to realize that, I think.  It's been too long.
MASON: How are the accommodations there?  I hear it's a pretty good place.


BRIANA: It's okay.  There aren't a whole lot of rooms, so it's crowded, but Keely and I are managing.

I don't know why, but I feel compelled to help her.  She looks so sad.


MASON: Briana, I know you don't really know me or my wife, but we have this big house...we would be glad to let you stay with us for awhile, just to get on your feet.
BRIANA: Oh, no.  I can't ask you to do that.
MASON: It would be our pleasure.

Even as I am saying it, I know the right thing to do would be to talk to Hadley about this first, but that doesn't occur to me until afterward.  I'm sure Hadley won't mind.


MASON: Would you please?
BRIANA: You're forgetting I have a toddler.  They're one-person screaming, crying, poop machines.
MASON: You would really be doing us a favor.  We haven't had children in the house for awhile...
BRIANA: You all have children?  Grown children?  You don't look near old enough.
MASON: Thank you, but I am...and I feel it more every day.  So will you stay?
BRIANA: *sighs* Okay.

Now I just have to ask Hadley.

*HADLEY'S POV*


After posing for the paparazzi for a little bit, I come inside and start playing this guitar.  I don't know if I played or not before, but it relaxes me now.

I play for a little bit until I look up and notice Layton, Evie's son, watching me.

LAYTON: I didn't know you played guitar, Aunt Hadley.
HADLEY: I don't know if I do either...
LAYTON: Haha, yeah, 'cuz you can't remember anything.  That's funny.
HADLEY: Yeah.  Ha.  Ha.

I sigh.  I don't much feel like playing anymore.
I start to head outside, but Layton follows me, so I suck it up and talk to him.


HADLEY: What's going on with you now Layton?
LAYTON: Not much...school...that sort of thing.
HADLEY: Right...well...

Almost as if sent by angels, Mason shows up next to me.
HADLEY: Hey!
MASON: What's up, my man?
LAYTON: Not much, Uncle Mason...just talking to Aunt Hadley.
MASON: Awesome, hey, can I steal her away from you for a minute?
LAYTON: Yeah, sure.



Layton turns around and starts talking to someone else.

HADLEY: Hey, can we go home now?
MASON: I have something to talk to you about...
He has a look on his face like he's worried about something...what is this about?

MASON: Do you remember that woman, Briana, that stayed with us one night?
HADLEY: Yeah...what about her?
MASON: Well, uh...she's here tonight...and she's been staying in the battered women's shelter that your mom volunteers at...
HADLEY: Yeah...
MASON: ...and that place is crowded and run down...
HADLEY: Yeah, yeah, so?
MASON: I told her she could stay at our house until she got on her feet.


HADLEY: Excuse me?  I thought you said you invited a stranger to stay in our house without consulting me...
MASON: ...um...I wouldn't put it like that...


HADLEY: Exactly how would you put it, Mason?
MASON: I know I screwed up, but you should see her...
HADLEY: I have seen her...and I invited her to stay the night in our house overnight.  Isn't that enough?
MASON: Huh?


HADLEY: Doesn't she have her own family with houses to stay in?
MASON: Listen to what you're saying, Hadley.  You want me to turn away a woman and her child that are just getting out of a domestic violence situation...
HADLEY: She has a child?!
MASON: Just one...it's not like...


HADLEY: It's not like you're throwing them out on the street, they are staying at the shelter.
MASON: Yeah, but it's too crowded, and our house is plenty big enough...we have a big basement, four bedrooms...
HADLEY: Two of which we use.
MASON: ...my point is, we have plenty to share.
HADLEY: Doesn't she have a job?
MASON: Hadley, come on.  Do you realize how insensitive you are sounding right now?
HADLEY: I don't mean to, it's just...you don't think maybe this isn't a very good time?
MASON: *sigh* I don't know...I just saw someone in need and wanted to do something.



I sigh.  I can't believe he's wanting to do this.  Don't we have our own problems to worry about?

HADLEY: Fine.  Tell her she can stay.
MASON: Are you sure?
HADLEY: You got me to say yes once, don't push it.

I storm off.

*MASON'S POV*


As Hadley walks off, I am slightly dumbfounded.  I know I was wrong asking Briana to stay before asking her, but she seemed more pissed about her staying in the first place.  Of course, I guess maybe I understand that she doesn't want any distractions from trying to get her memory back...

Hmm, maybe it was a bad idea.

EXTRA PICTURES:

I was really excited to put Layton in this post, and Leigha happened to be there as well, but I couldn't write her in, so here's a pic of her in case y'all were wondering what Evie & Tony's kids look like...





2 comments:

  1. I fear things are going to fall apart with Mason and Hadley. They aren't talking to each other really. Hadley wants to try and move forward as is yet Mason is stuck waiting on her to get her memory back. She's getting annoyed and frustrated and holding it in. I fear its going to bubble over into a big fight :(

    I hope I'm wrong.

    I get that Mason wanted to help but he should have talked to her first! No question. She is dealing with a lot and he just takes in a stranger and her child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are having issues right now, and I suppose that was to be expected at some point. I have kind of been wanting to give Mason some layers instead of just perfect, perfect, perfect. LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!