Saturday, June 9, 2012

Chapter 12: Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?

*HADLEY'S POV*

I didn't speak to Mason for the rest of the night.  I don't know how I used to handle fights, but I don't really feel like dealing with it.

The next morning, I head downstairs and run right into Mason.  I shuffle and stammer around and refuse to look him in the eyes.

MASON: Baby, look at me...

I look up and he grabs my hands.


MASON: I don't want to fight.
HADLEY: I don't either...I'm sorry...
MASON: No, you have nothing to be sorry for.
HADLEY: Yes I do...I was acting like a little brat.
MASON: No, you had every right to feel that way.  I am the one that needs to apologize.  I'm so used to knowing you so well, I don't even have to ask what you will think about something.  
HADLEY: That person that you have known for so long isn't here anymore, Mason.  What if I never get my memory back?
Mason sighs and I'm terrified of what he's going to say.
MASON: I have to believe you will.
There is a question rolling around in my head that I am terrified to ask.  I try to work up the courage to ask it, but I don't.  The question I really want to know the answer to is: Will you continue to love me even without my memory?

I just can't bring myself to ask.  What if the answer is no?  What then?  I feel like I am just trying to make a life for myself, with or without my memory.  I feel like Mason is trying to get me to remember my old life, or just waiting for that to happen.  What is going to happen to us?  It seems like my life is nothing but a big question mark right now.

MASON: Briana and Keely just got here.

And then there's that.  I don't know if I can deal with having someone else in the house - with a child to beat it all.  Mason seems so certain that the old me would welcome our guests into our home without question, so I am going to work with that.

MASON: I have a feeling she doesn't have much, would it be okay if I let her use the old baby stuff in the attic?  And maybe some of your old clothes?
HADLEY: We have baby stuff in the attic?
MASON: Uh...yeah...
Every now and then, the subject of children comes up and he never gives me a straight answer about whether or not we had any.  I really want to know, but I get the feeling he's trying to protect me from something.  While this is frustrating, I decide not to pick right now to push it.

MASON: Would that be okay?
HADLEY: Yeah, give her whatever she needs.

*MASON'S POV*


I feel better after talking with Hadley.  It's clear that I have a lot to get used to and even though she's going through a lot of changes, I need to as well.  She heads outside to tend to Pepper and I meet Briana and Keely in the living room.
  Keely is an adorable little girl with blonde hair.  She looks a lot like her mother, but her eyes look different.  They must be her father's eyes.  How difficult that must be - to look into the eyes of your child every day and see a person that brought you so much pain.
I notice that Keely is just in a diaper and a t-shirt and Briana has a pair of flip-flops on that are falling apart.

BRIANA: Thank you all again...I don't know how to repay you for your kindness.
MASON: It's our pleasure.  I took one of the bunk beds out of that yellow room and put a crib in it.  I thought you and Keely would like to stay in the same room, but if you want to, we can move some things around and put you each in your own room.


BRIANA: No, no!  You have done enough.  
MASON: Do you have any bags?
BRIANA: Um...no...
MASON: Any other clothes?
BRIANA: No...
MASON: Well, I have a few boxes of old baby clothes and some of Hadley's old clothes, you are more than welcome to them.


BRIANA: How come you're being so nice to me?
MASON: We have more than enough here, it makes me feel better to share it.
She looks confused and I realize that she has very rarely had anyone treat her with any amount of kindness.

I show her where the clothes are and she quickly changes Keely into an old outfit of Naomi's.

*HADLEY'S POV*


When I come back into the house, Briana is standing in the dining room pulling a little girl out of a high chair that oddly matches our dining room chairs.
The little girl looks at me with big blue eyes and my heart melts.  I feel compelled to take her into my arms and comfort her.  Hmm, is this a maternal instinct they always talk about?

HADLEY: Are you getting settled okay?
BRIANA: Yes, thank you.
HADLEY: It's no biggie.
BRIANA: Well, it means the world to me.  I didn't know how I was going to manage on my own.  Trevor is the one that worked...I'm not really good at anything.
HADLEY: I'm sure you are.  You just need to find it.
BRIANA: I've been with Trevor for as long as I can remember.  I don't know who I am without him.
Hmm, I can certainly relate to that.  Maybe she isn't so different from me.  Of course, looking at her, she has obviously had a much harder life than I have.  Her hair is fried, probably from over-bleaching, her clothes are torn and worn, and she barely has shoes on her feet.
HADLEY: I hope Mason told you that you are free to wear some of my clothes if you would like...they might be too big, but...
BRIANA: Yes, thank you.
I try to think of something else I can do for her.
HADLEY: What do you have planned for today?
BRIANA: Um...nothing really.
HADLEY: How about you head over to the salon and get your hair fixed?  My treat.
BRIANA: You don't have to...
HADLEY: No, I insist.
BRIANA: Um, thank you.


*BRIANA'S POV*


After Mason hooks me up with an old stroller, I head to the salon.


I look at myself in the mirror and realize just how tragic I look.  How did I let myself get this way?  I chuckle to myself, I really have no idea.


I have to admit, I have been able to stay slim...although hunger will do that to you...
The hairstylist takes one look at my hair and think he's going to faint.


My hair does look like crap.  I try, but I never have money for conditioner...
STYLIST: Honey, you have come to the right place.  We are going to fix this.


He straightens my hair and then twists and pins it up in the front.  I'll admit I really love it.
STYLIST: How about a little makeup?
BRIANA: Um...okay..


The change is subtle, but the improvement is amazing.

I smile.  This is the beginning of a new me.

I head back to the Mason and Hadley's and immediately pick out an outfit on the smaller side of the box that Mason gave me.

HADLEY: Hey, you look great!
BRIANA: Thank you...
HADLEY: Dinner is on the counter...help yourself.
BRIANA: Okay...thanks.


I get a plate and head outside.  Mason is just finishing up.
BRIANA: Hey...
He looks up at me and his eyes widen.

MASON: Wow, you look beautiful.



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm an old folk, so I don't know what that means, but thank you for commenting. LOL

      Delete
  2. Not liking this :( Hadley tell him!!! Let him know how you feel. You two need to talk. Mason quit being so thick and living in the past. Deal with the now. How could he not tell her she has kids? He's waiting on something that may never happen which is keeping this wall between them. UGH I have such a bad feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadley has always had problems talking to Mason even when she knows him...now I think it's harder for her. I think he's worried it's going to freak her out if she knows she has 100 kids...and he is being stubborn trying to hold on to the past...things might get worse before they get better...

      Delete
  3. Just caught up on a bunch of chapters, and oh my god. Please give us a new one soon!

    ... Mason&Hadleyforeverplease ;;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely will! I have the next ten chapters played out, I just have to get them written! Thanks for catching up!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!