Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chapter 26 Pt. 1: Pay No Attention to The Transparent Chick Behind the Curtain

*REAL HADLEY'S POV*


Before I can let out an resounding Yes!  Capital Y, Capital E, Capital S...Mason blurts out, "No!  Absolutely not!"
I look at him like he's nuts, "Why?  So I have to die again...been there...I can handle it."
"What if something goes wrong?" He brings up, "Baby, I can't lose you again..."
"I'm only going to be dead for a little bit, right?" I offer looking at Melody for some back up.
"Hadley, you know I told you there is always a risk.  I have developed a potion that has a toxic cocktail designed to kill you but I added some "reboot juice" that should move you and Briana back into the bodies you were supposed to be in the first place, then after a little bit of time, you will re-inhabit your original bodies naturally."
"All I hear is risk," Mason interjects.
"Mason, please..." I look at him desperately.
He has an extremely serious look on his face.  I would make fun of him if I weren't pleading for his support.
He shakes his head, "No...no...I can't do it...I...baby, when I thought I lost you the first time...do you realize what that did to me?  I was lost without you."

I turn and look at him sympathetically.  I understand because I would be a broken shell of a person without him too, but I trust Melody...and damn it, I want my body back.
"I have to try babe," I tell him, tears welling in my eyes, "don't you miss me?  The real me?  I hate living in this crap body..."
"So you would rather not live...at all?" He interrupts.
"I have to try, I hate living in this little twig body," I start and then come up with an idea.  It's playing dirty, but...
"I think I know what this is," I start.
He raises his eyebrows, "If it's anything but me trying to keep you in my life, you're wrong."
Shit.  He knows me.  Oh well, gone too far already...
"No, it has to be something else," Cue the hysterical jealous wife:  "I think you have gotten used to me in this blonde skinny body and you like it better than..."
He rolls his eyes and throws his hands up in the air, "You've gotta be kidding me."
I hang my head, "No, I guess I underst..."
"These games are not going to work on me, sweetie," he says, "not this time.  There's too much at stake."
I sigh.  This is getting frustrating.  "So you're being selfish.  You would rather have me here and miserable than back to myself and happy."
"I DON'T WANT TO TAKE THE RISK!" He yells.  "If I'm being selfish because I'm trying to SAVE YOUR LIFE, well then I'm selfish."

Melody interjects at this point, "Whoa, guys, let's cool off, shall we?  Hadley, can I talk to Mason alone?  Briana needs to be fed something anyway.  You don't want your body to expire before we can even do the spell, do you?"
"Fine." I glare at Mason as I walk by, but of course it's not as effective as I would like it to be.


*MASON'S POV*


"Am I crazy to be concerned?  Really?" I ask Melody after Hadley heads out of the room.
"Of course not Mason.  I have told her that these types of spells are dangerous, but she has been unrelenting about wanting to get into her old body."  Melody replies.
"If these things are so dangerous, why did you agree to work on a spell?" I am confused.
"Here's the thing Mason," she starts, "there are really several ways to go about this and this way is by far the safest."
"Making her die?" I find that hard to believe.
"Well, you could always kill both women, take them back to the science lab, and hope it works itself out, but that plan is riddled with instability."
"Is there anything else?  Maybe just a switch spell?  Anything..." I plead with her.
She shakes her head, "No, I'm sorry Mason, but both of them have to become completely detached from the body they are inhabiting, then they have to make it back into their original body."


"That adds another concern...what if Briana doesn't want to go back in her body?" I ask.
"I have actually planned for that.  I'm not sure if it will work, but I have bonding spells I might be able to convert that will bond each woman to their right body."   Melody tells me.

Even knowing these things, I don't know if I can do this.  I start shaking my head, "I still don't know..."

Melody looks me in the eyes and says, "Believe me, Mason.  I don't want to lose her either.  I wouldn't be trying to do this if I thought it would kill her permanently, but as prepared as we can be, there comes a point where we just have to learn to have faith."

I sigh, "She's not going to let this go."
"No, I don't think she is," Melody agrees.

I wasn't really asking because I know my wife.  She will spend the rest of her life trying to get her body back, if it kills her or if that's all she does for the rest of her life.

Being married to Hadley is sometimes more trying than anything.  I know when she really has her mind on something there is no changing it no matter how much I fight - and we have had some major fights.

"Okay, I'm going to put my faith in you Melody." I tell her.


She gives me a friendly hug, "Don't be afraid, Mason.  If I know Hadley, she will come out of this."

I hope so.


*REAL HADLEY'S POV*


When I get back inside after throwing Briana some slop, I find Mason still talking with Melody.
"So what have we decided?" I ask, almost not wanting to know.

"Melody has convinced me to let you try it," Mason tells me.

I start to argue about his use of the word "let" but I decide not to push it.
"Really?!  Oh, thank you baby!  When are we going to do this?" I ask, throwing my arms around Mason.

"I have the potions in injection form.  I figure we won't be able to get Briana to drink this.
Mason sighs deeply, "Okay, so what happens now?"

"Someone needs to administer the potions to both of them."  Melody instructs, "I suppose I will inject either Hadley or Briana and you can inject the other Mason."

"Mason needs to inject Briana," I tell them, "I know my body, he's stronger than it for sure."

So it's settled.  Mason goes down to the cubby hole and brings Briana up restrained in my body.

"What are you all doing to me?  You can't do this!  You won't get away with this!" She keeps screaming.

"Yeah, whatever, bitch." I say as I hand Melody my arm.

"Are you ready Mason?" she asks my husband.  He holds up the syringe in response.
"On my count," Melody continues, "the closest proximity we get to giving them the injections at the same time, the better."

"What is this?  What are you doing?  Stop it, look, I'll stop talking...just..." Briana is yack-yack-yacking away until all of a sudden she's not and I don't hear anything.

"Baby?  Is that you?" I can hear Mason faintly, "Which one is she?"

"Her astral form will look like her actual self - so the one that looks like Hadley." Melody is explaining.

My eyes flutter open and I look around, a bit confused, but feeling okay.  I stand up and see Mason and Melody looking at me - and a very transparent Briana - looking like her old self - or the new me...wow...



She is looking around frantically, "What did you all do to me?  Am I dead?  What the...?  Why do you look like yourself?"
"Your time inhabiting Hadley's body is over Briana," Melody tells her, "in a matter of moments, you will return to your own body and she will return to hers."
"We're going to make sure of that," Mason interjects.

Mason.  I look around and see him, standing there, looking so...gorgeous...


I walk up to him, "Hi...do I look weird?"
"No weirder than you've looked over this last year," he answers.

He stares at me grinning with his wide smile for a few minutes before looking over at Melody, "Hey Mel, how solid are they right now?"
"More solid than you would think," Melody responds.
"Good," he replies.

Before I know what's happening, he is grabbing me and wrapping his arms around me.


...and he gives me the most amazing kiss I've had all year. 
Even though I'm not completely solid at this point, this feels as close to real as I can imagine.

Melody is talking to Briana, trying to calm her down.
"Where's my daughter?  Where's Keely?  Is she alone?  Is she with her father?" Briana is asking a million questions, but they are all about her daughter, so I guess I can't get too mad about that.

Melody brings her a sleepy Keely from our bedroom, "Keely is right here, and I'm sure she misses you."



Keely grabs on to her mother and holds on tight and Briana starts crying, "You know she hasn't been as responsive to me as Hadley...and...I've missed her..."

"That's what happens when she loses her mother,:" I tell her.

"I know *sniffle*," Briana replies, "I was so *sniffle* stupid.  I had *sniffle* everything before...*sniffle, sniffle*...because I had her *sob*."

"Are you going to try and get back into Hadley's body?" Mason asks her.
"No," she replies, "I swear, I'm sorry...I was wrong...you can have your body back.  All I want is Keely."

Even though the entire time I have known her I doubt she has said even one sentence of truth, I somehow believe her.

I look over to Melody and ask, "What now?"

"I'm going to bond each of you to your own bodies." She replies.

As Melody chants and sprinkles crap around me and Briana and our respective bodies, I begin to feel a strange pull.
"What's going on?" I ask.
"Don't fight it," Melody instructs, "just let it lead you to where you need to be."

Same process, I all of a sudden didn't hear anything, then start waking up and fluttering my eyes open.

I can hear Mason sign in relief, "I think it worked."
"I know it did," Melody agrees.

I feel a little heavier than I have in awhile (damn it), but I know it's my body.  All of the right joints ache a little and my hair feels the same, thick and dark like my father's.  I feel my face and feel my eyes and skin where my freckles are and for the first time in my life I wish my freckles had some relief to them so that I could feel them on my skin.

I stand up and feel so much better standing at the right height and I look over and see Briana and glare.
For the first time, I can punch the bitch and make it count because I'm not worried about messing up my face.


"Hadley," she starts begging, "I'm so sorry...for everything...I was stupid..."
"Here's the problem, Briana," I tell her, "the damage has already been done.  Mason's reputation is ruined and we have lost all this time of normalcy because of you."
"I know, and I'm sorry.  I don't know what I can do to make it up to you.  I don't have anything...other than Keely." she grovels, "but I am so sorry."

I sigh.


"Look Briana, I just don't want to see you anymore.  I'm done with dealing with you, are we clear?" I ask.
"Of course, I'm probably going to have to leave town anyway," she says, "I don't have anywhere to go..."

"No, you and Keely are going to live in this house...and you're taking that horse..." I tell her.

"What?" she's confused, hell, so am I.  I really don't like the bitch, but I just want to go home and be done with all this crap.

"I'm serious.  I don't want you running around the streets having to look for a place to live with Keely...and I quite frankly don't like horses, so you'd be doing me a favor if you took Pepper off my hands.  We'll have all her crap delivered.  There's plenty of room in the back yard."

Briana tries to hug me, but I pull away, "this doesn't mean I want to be buddies or anything.  I just want to leave.  Just tell people Mason and I got back together and now it's just you in the house."

"This is so generous...more than I deserve." Briana looks at me with awe.

"Yeah, I know, just get out of my face.  We're going home." I tell her as Mason and I walk out the door.


Getting home, I have never been so happy.  I can't believe all that crap is behind us.  Maybe now we can just work on being an old married couple.

Thank heavens for Melody.  I'm going to have to send that chick a fruit basket or something.

4 comments:

  1. yes!!! I'm so glad she has her body back. I would have kicked Briana's ass for sure. She messed up their life being a selfish bitch. On top of that she was all in the papers playing the victim. UGH. She needs to just go away for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! Funny thing is, she's still lurking around in the game and my crazy story progression hooked her up with Keaton, Hadley's brother! I can't get rid of her! LOL

      Delete
  2. I kind of wish brianna had been really angery. and that they had kicked her out onto the streets.... She needs to pay!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!