Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chapter 7: All Over Again


Taking care of Pepper has really brought a lot of joy into my life.  I didn't realize how much I enjoyed being a nurturer.  Mason tells me that I have always been that way - of course I can't remember anything about how I used to be, but this feels right.


"Well good morning ladies," I hear Mason walk out and greet me after I finish feeding Pepper.  I turn around and smile.  Hearing his voice is becoming more soothing to me over time.
"Are you ready to go to the game?" he asks.
I had almost forgot, "Do you think Pep will be okay without me here?"
"I'm sure she'll be fine," he replies, "but Evie's sending Layton over to keep an eye on her to make sure."
I am continually amazed at how  well he knows me...obviously more than I know myself.  He knew that just saying Pepper would be fine would not be enough for me.


"So what's the plan?  Am I going to watch while you do all the pre-game stuff?" I ask on the way.
"Actually the game isn't until this afternoon," he starts, "I have made us some plans for lunch."
"Oh..." I'm not really one for surprises as of late.

But when he stops the car, we're at the park.
"What are we doing?" I ask.
"I thought a picnic might be nice," he replies and gets out of the car, pulling a basket out of the trunk.
"A picnic?  With what?  I thought you were anti-cooking..."
He laughs, "Don't get excited.  They're just hot dogs..."
"...but you told me you've blown them up before..."
"...and Amy made them." He laughs again.
"Oh, ok...so we're safe."


I've been slowly re-learning everything about my life, and one of those things is that Mason's hot dogs taste like rubber.  Amy's - or my mother's - taste spectacular.
"Is there coleslaw?" I ask.
"Isn't there always?" He answers in a voice I'm sure also comes out during much more private settings.  My heart can't but jump a bit.
"You are too good," I reply as he hands me a delicious looking hot dog covered with cheese, mustard, chili, onions, and coleslaw...a true southern delicacy...seriously...try it.
"I try," he replies.  There's that voice again...


"So what brought all this on?" I ask
"Well," he starts, "I thought it might be nice.  We have to eat anyway, right?"
Something occurs to me...
"You know what...?" I start...


"What?" He asks...but I've already lost my train of thought.
"Oh!  Look!  It's a deer!"
Mason is looking at me, but I just noticed the deer...
"What?" he asks.
"It's a fawn!  See?  Isn't it so pretty?"  Seeing the deer has me so excited, I completely forget what I was going to say.
"Um....yeah," Mason agrees.  He's looking at me with a confused expression on his face.
Now it's my turn to be confused, "What?  Why are you looking at me like that?"


We stand up and I look at him.  He's so...he's just so...
"It's nothing," he responds to my question, "You've never been this much of an animal person, but I guess maybe I understand it.  You've always been a nurturer."

We walk a ways over near the pond and I watch the fish swimming around like crazy.

"I actually have a surprise for you," he tells me.
"What is it?"
"I asked Tony to come here with Lady, their horse, so you could have a chance to ride." He tells me.


I throw my arms around him before I can help myself.
"Thank you!"
His body feels so warm, I kind of don't want to stop hugging him, and he doesn't pull away.  He sighs.
I pull away first.
"Um...I'm sorry," I reply, embarrassed.
"No, don't be...I actually wouldn't mind if you did that all the time." he replies laughing.
It's one of the very few times he's ever talked about his own needs and I feel bad.  This must be hard for him.
"Anyway," he thankfully changes the subject, "I have to go do pregame stuff and they won't let people in until game time, so I thought you would like to practice riding until then."
"I would love it," I reply, "how are you so perfect?"
He laughs, "I'm far from perfect, trust me.  You'll remember that whenever you get your memory back."


We say our goodbyes as he leaves for the stadium and I head over to where Tony is with the horse.
"Tony?" I ask, unsure, "Have I ever rode before?"
"Um, I don't know," he replies, "I'm not the one to ask...Mason or Evie would know."
So I give it my best shot, and I'm actually able to get up on the horse, but she doesn't like it very much.


Any illusion I had of jumping on this horse and riding off into the sunset are dashed as I fall off off and damn near break my neck.  Thankfully, by then it's time to head to the game.


I'm really more excited to be going to Mason's football game than I ever thought I would.  I am pretty sure I'm going to be confused, but when I get there, I am surrounded by women talking about their husbands or boyfriends winning the game and what they're going to do with the bonus checks.  I just smile politely, but role my eyes on the inside.

I watch Mason the whole time, like he asked me to and am overjoyed when his team wins 9 to 1!


"That was amazing," I tell him when he meets me outside.
"Thanks," he replies shyly.

Looking at him now, I realize what I've been wanting to tell him all day.

"Mason..." I start, but then pause.
"Yes?" He looks at me expectantly, almost as if he knows what I want to say, or at least hopes.
"I think..."
"What?" He encourages me to continue, "What is it?"

But my brain can't formulate the words.  All I can do is look at him...

Take a deep breath...

...lean in...


...wrap my arms around him and give him the best, most passionate kiss I can...and pray that I remember how.

He's shocked at first, but he catches up quickly.  I think he loses control of himself for a minute.  I don't remember what kissing him was like before, but this is desperate...urgent, like in his eyes, kissing me might be the most important thing he has to do...like it might solve world hunger or homelessness...

I agree with his desperation by digging my nails into his back.  Even though my memory is gone, my body seems to know exactly what to do...and apparently it also knows exactly what Mason's body wants...this is almost surreal.


When we finally pull away, he catches his breath and asks me, "What was it you were trying to say?"

"I think I'm falling in love with you...again."

4 comments:

  1. Awww...that was great! Mason is such a great guy taking things at her pace and not pushing trying to overload her with memories. I wonder if any of her kids will come back to check on their mom. That might jar some stuff lose.

    She kissed him!!!! I bet that was the best thing Mason could have hoped for. :)

    Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I toiled over this one for a little bit...LOL glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Aww, that's so sweet!! I'm slowly catching up! Love it so far! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!